So many people have gone to the grave with their talent and dreams. It is only the bold ones that strive to keep their dreams alive, especially those born without a silver spoon and down trodden.Blessing Ekeke from Avaira in Isoko south local government area is one of such persons who have dare to keep his dreams alive.
Enjoy it.
Enjoy it.
Can we meet you?
I am Ekeke Blessing from Aviara and Edhere both in Isoko south local government area of Delta State. I have always wanted to be an artist right from my childhood. After I finished from Nana College Warri, in 1985, in short, while I was in school I was called artist as art was my best subject. One thing led to another so I had to go back to Isoko. In Isoko, I signed up with a road “sign artist” an Emede man called Raphael Ebie. I worked with him for three years as an apprentice to strengthen my hands.
I later opened my own shop at lrri in Isoko south local government area. I was there for years and struggled my way back to Warri. I opened a studio in Udu, Warri and because I believe education would give me a boost and since I would like to teach fine art as a subject in other to impact my knowledge on talented pupils and students, I enrolled as a part-time student at College of Education, Warri were I have just graduated. I didn’t just want to be an ordinary Road Sign Artist.
Have you attended any art exhibition before?
I have never had the privilege or opportunity to attend any arts exhibition. I have being praying to God to give me a divine connection where my talent would be fully displayed. I believe God’s connection is the best since I have not been able to get any. I have about six students at the moment. They are all in school. After school and during school holidays period is when they come to the studio.
My works are on display in big super markets and frame shops in Warri. They can be found in one of the oldest Superstores, Esco.
In building the youths, my advice to the parents is to encourage their talented children especially these days of unemployment siege. After school no employment, so anyone who pays attention to his/her child would discover where the child fits that’s where they can channel and guide him/her well. As for government, the government should look for the less privilege talented
youths and organise workshop for them, if possible they should be empowered with some grants to kick off. It is not every youth that is lazy or does not want to work. It is because of lack of opportunity hence some went into crime and as I said earlier my studio is at Udu Road, Warri.
youths and organise workshop for them, if possible they should be empowered with some grants to kick off. It is not every youth that is lazy or does not want to work. It is because of lack of opportunity hence some went into crime and as I said earlier my studio is at Udu Road, Warri.


No comments:
Post a Comment