Mr. Shadrack Chukwuma Obaduemu is from lbrede in Ndokwa east local government area of Delta State. He was elected the president-general of lbrede community on the 1st April 2013 for four years tenure. However, after a peace meeting with stakeholders of lbrede on the 7th September, on his way back to Lagos, on the 8th, at Ore, a group allegedly led by Mr. Enifoke Onomewerike called him and alleged to have removed him as the president-general.In this interview with Simeon Okworide,the retired PHCN officer throws more light on the Odabo land crisis rocking lbrede community and the way forward.
Excerpt:
Let us know you Sir
My names are Shadrack Chukwuma Obaduemu from lbrede in Ndokwa east local government area of Delta State. I have just been retired from PHCN and also the elected President-General of lbrede community.
Recently, Sir, precisely on the 30th April 2014, we heard there was crisis in your home town, lbrede, which led to burning of houses and properties. How true is that situation?
Yes, it is true that there was crisis in lbrede and houses including properties of all sort were burnt. In fact, on that fateful day at about 7:30am, a call got to me to say that houses and properties are being burnt including my houses. I have five buildings and four were burnt including household properties inside because I intend to setup a hotel business in lbrede and if not this dastardly incident, I have planned to relocate home this August 2014 to commence the hotel business, but as it is now, that plan has been shattered for now.
Were you told the reason for the action?
Yes, I was told the reason, which I am aware of. There has been a disagreement between the Uruebo’s family where I came from and the lbrede community over Odabo land which comprises fish ponds, lakes, several brooks and an Agip pipeline also passed through the land and the matter has been in court for sometimes now. Do you know that each time we come back from the court, the Uruebo’s family has always been molested by the community. It got to an extend where the Uruebo’s family members were ostracized from participating in all community activities including buying and selling in the lbrede market.
As the president-general then, did you make any attempt in resolving the issue?
Yes, I convened several peace meetings to resolve the matter and I personally visited some of the stakeholders specifically to create a conducive atmosphere in resolving the matter, but to no avail. I met with Simon Uchenenu and Charles lbi in their houses to make peace so as to move the community forward, but, they refused. The outcome of their refusal to embrace peace is what has led to the destruction of properties and displacement of women and children.
But, you are no longer the president-general?
No, I remained the authentic and recognized president-general of lbrede community in accordance with the lbrede constitution because I was elected in the general conference and I can only be removed by the conference and that is why inspite of the challenges facing the community, the government still recognize me as the elected president-general of the community. What happened in lbrede today won’t have happened if, I were allowed to take charge, because for about four months I took charge, the community was able to get computers which were installed in lbrede schools, the local government commenced the construction of the lbrede market and so many other things and so when the issue of odabo land came up, I tried as much as possible to nip it in the bud and at the same time making every bit of effort to ensure that the matter did not degenerate into crisis which I know, if not properly handle, it might create a serious problem for the community and you can see it has happened.
From your, statement you mean, you are still being recognized by your local authority?
Yes, I am still being recognized because I was elected for four years and to confirm that, I have just received a text message sent to me. Let me read it loud: “in view of logistics and unforeseen circumstances, our earlier scheduled emergency meeting for 2ndSaturday May is rescheduled to hold on the 31st May 2014 at Chief Agbanishi house, Ogume junction, Kwale. Time 11am, please remember to come with your clan’s outstanding monthly dues. Thanks, “Secretary General” so, therefore in view of the above text message, it is crystal clear that I Shadrack Chukwuma Obaduemu is the recognized President-General of lbrede community, because it is only the general conference of lbrede can remove me.
You said you lost properties in this imbroglio?
Yes, let me make it very clear, I have five buildings in lbrede, because I intended to establish a hotel business as part of my contribution to lbrede by investing in the community and at the same time create jobs for the lbrede youths. Three buildings were razed down while the fourth building was touched, but all the properties inside were burnt to ashes. These includes plasma televisions, fridges furnitures, generators and several household that worth millions of naira. You can see that I have lost all that I have labored for, for the past years and if not for the fact that I have the interest of developing lbrede, I would not have invested all my life in lbrede but, today the reverse is the case.
Now, properties destroyed, people displaced, what do you think is the way forward?
Well, in as much as my properties were burnt, the way forward is how to return peace to lbrede town and that is why, right from time, I made every attempt of bringing peace to the community. I think the way forward at the moment is for the state government to convene a peace meeting among the stakeholders in lbrede in finding a lasting solution to this Odabo land dispute which has lingered on for years now. The state government should also make adequate provision for the displaced persons while the peace process is on. I also want to use this medium to appeal to all lbrede sons and daughters to embrace peace as peace is the only tool of bringing development to the community. And on my own, I’m still making effort to reach out to all lbrede stakeholders to give peace a chance so that calmness can return to the community so that those displaced can returned to the community peacefully.
No comments:
Post a Comment